For those that love it but have never made it, here’s a simple recipe to get you started.
The only thing that really separates my versions is that I omit tomato from mine and I use the whole flesh of the lime (not just the juice) plus a bit of lime skin to amp up the lime flavour to accompany my steak tacos.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: —
Total time: 10 minutes
- 2 avocados
- ½ lime fruit, skin removed
- ¼ lime skin, pith removed
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup of red onion, diced
- ¼ cup cilantro
- ¼ teaspoon of ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon of ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- Cut the avocados in half and remove the pit. Using a spoon, scoop the insides out and place in blender or food processor.
- Now prepare the lime fruit and the lime skin. To do so, take a very sharp chef’s knife and cut the lime into quarters; remove the inside flesh; lay rind flat and slip the knife between the skin and the white pith and remove the pith; repeat until all the pith is removed. Always move the knife away your fingers, holding the lime and skin from behind the knife. Finely mince the skin and place this along with the the unpeeled half of lime in the blender.
- Add the other ingredients (oil, onion, cilantro, cumin, salt, pepper)
- Blend/purée until smooth.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.